RONAN — Anaconda’s moving on in the winners bracket for the first time since 2014.
The Copperheads used a stifling defensive performance to shut down 7B No. 1-seed Eureka, knocking off the Lions 45-36 Thursday morning in the Western B divisional first round.
The opening-round win was the first for the Copperhead girls since 2014, also the last time Anaconda advanced to a state tournament.
Anaconda’s Logan Stetzner and Isabel Saltenberger led the team with 11 apiece, Megan Reich had six and Arieona Mattson and Mia Sullivan-Sanders added five.
Up by three at the end of the third, Anaconda held Eureka to just six points in the fourth quarter as they tried to mount a comeback.
The only drawback from Anaconda’s win was how they struggled down the stretch from the line. In the fourth, the ‘Heads made just 4-of-10 from the charity stripe.
Eureka’s Sienna Utter led all scorers with 14 followed by Maggie Graves and Megan Hanson with six. Also for Anaconda, Lindsey Seitzinger and Sami Johnson had two and Claire Miller had one.
Anaconda will now face Loyola in the semifinal scheduled for 4 p.m. You can follow live at copperheadcountry.airtime.pro
- Copperhead girls upset Eureka, advances to Western B semifinals
- Tabish, FX Solutions donates winter apparel to Backpack Program
- Anaconda matmen head to state without Skocilich
- Copperheads win second-straight, sweep Florence in 6B season series
- Dylan Skocilich earns title, ‘Heads send four to State B/C